Friday, May 30, 2014

Einfahrt - Part 1

May 30, 2014



I mentioned in my last post that I will be spending the next couple of months in Europe (primarily Germany) to be with my kids and grandchildren – a time I very much look forward to enjoying.
I will still be writing about Olón and Ecuador, since that is my home, and I will be keeping in touch with friends there on a regular basis.
But come with me as we take a little detour onto some new adventures.






I’ve been in Germany for just a little over two days.  I’m still a wee bit jet-lagged, and adjusting to the weather (though it is “summer” here, it’s kind of cold for me, and currently somewhat similar to Cuenca weather).  I’m glad I packed some long pants and sweaters.

I left Guayaquil early Tuesday evening for a direct flight to Amsterdam (around an 11-hour flight). There is a seven hour time difference, and I arrived at Schiphol airport shortly after 1PM the next day for a 2 hour layover before taking a puddle jumper to Germany.


After four years of living in Olón, (and not leaving Ecuador soil during all that time), I knew to expect some culture shock. I knew to anticipate more sophisticated facilities, probably more efficient service and expensive prices, and tempting food that I haven’t seen in a long time (even if it was in an airport).

What I didn’t expect was that I would be more comfortable, accustomed, and unconsciously talking in español with all I met, including  tall, Nordic looking people as I was downing a couple of draft beers during my layover there.

This wasn’t a “put-on” or “show-off” on my part. I just didn’t realize how comfortable I’ve become speaking that language (as mangled as it still is), because it’s become the “norm” for me, and I had to deliberately remind myself to talk in ingles a number of times.

My daughter Kacie, and my granddaughters, Clara (3-yrs) and Chloe (6-months) were there to meet me as soon as I disembarked in Germany.

What a joy and blessing it was for me to wrap my arms around these kids again (and the first time to hold Chloe!).  Just what the doctor ordered – this trip to be with them is a gift and a blessing.
Aside from my lingering weariness from the trip, I am on a challenging learning curve being around toddlers and infants once more, and trying to get back up to speed disentangling child car seats belts, locking in high chair trays, and changing diapers.




Kacie and Pedro’s apartment is very comfy and spacious, with all modern conveniences. There are four bedrooms, and I have one to myself.
Kacie did make one observation as I was unpacking.  She said my clothes smelled liked “musty Indiana Jones” stuff.  I don’t have a very good sense of smell, but I had to laugh, because I’m sure they do.  I made sure all my clothes were clean before packing, but then again, I use one of the better local Olón lavanderías to do that, and I’m pretty sure they use the water directly from the Rio Olón as their water source, so I’ve been re-washing my clothes in her machine before I unpack/hang since I’ve been here.




I do have one confession to make….(please, those in Olón – do not tell Daisy this news – advert her eyes from seeing this spoiler).

I am sleeping with a new guy. His name is Sunny. He is very affectionate, loving, and attentive. I might be just a little bit in love with him. We’ve very quickly developed an intimate and cozy relationship at night.

He is a cat, and probably best if Daisy doesn’t know I’m having this fling while I’m away. 



2 comments:

  1. Cute cute cute... Hugs to you.Glad you are enjoying your visit.. Looking forward to the updates to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen!
      Already I have more notes in my journal than I can possibly write here, but will be updating every chance I get.
      I will have to say that my Olón friends and I have been laughing about how we suspected all along that no matter how are clothes are washed there (even those of us who have/have had private washing machines) still seem to smell like fish.

      Delete