Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Breaking the Shell



May 19, 2014

These pictures were culled from
photos I took in Joshua Tree
through the years.
I call this one
"Mother Earth Giving Birth"


I became a non-smoker a few days ago.
I lasted exactly 28 hours as one.
It’s a change I need to make in my life, and I am getting more motivated towards that goal. To make that transformation might mean eliminating or modifying “triggers” as well.  In other words, dismantling some of the old patterns and thoughts to bring in the “new”.





Life has seasons, and change is inevitable.  I think change invariably brings each of us to new and wondrous discoveries and possibilities, though the road there can be rough at times (like telling my body and brain we do not need that cigarette).

This reminded me of a quote (I love quotes) that I thought was one of Friedrich Nietzsche’s.
As it turns out, it is attributed to Pablo Picasso:

“Every act of creation is first an act of destruction”.


In other words, “you can’t pour new wine into old wine skins”.


Sometimes making changes in our lives can be painful, but I like what Kahlil Gibran says about that:
“Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding” – the idea that pain can be our friend if we view it as a doorway to marvelous new vistas  and opportunities ahead.





I do think that being an expat does bring another layer into that mix (sometimes you more often need to “step up the pace” to adapt, bend, transform to your new culture).
You’re on a non-stop learning curve.
Expect it, whether you have lived here in Ecuador for just weeks or years. It never actually ends.



I love living in South America.
In particular, Olón, Ecuador is my home. This might sound a little “weird”, but there is something intensely spiritual about this continent. Maybe it’s because we essentially live on the Equator, maybe it’s the diversity of the culture and nature, maybe it’s because we’re a vortex for outer-space-beings (just kidding here, folks…sorta). I do know that this area of the coast we live in is one of the oldest documented continually settled areas in all of South America.





Recently, it seems like a lot of people I know (or have met) are going through major life changes. Obviously, many of those I've had the opportunity to meet -- generally interesting folks -- are visiting to explore the possibility of moving here and are going through a major adjustment in their lives.
Other friends I know are having babies, or losing parents and other loved ones, or celebrating weddings, or dealing with a sickness.  The list goes on.  And changes are happening in my life now too.



One of the bigger ones is that I will be soon be going to Germany to live for 2 months.   My youngest daughter and her husband live there, along with my 3-yr and 6-mo old granddaughters. I am beyond thrilled to have this opportunity to spend time with them!  (A leetle nervous, because I hope my experience with potty-training, diaper-changing and Candy Land come back like riding a bike).
As an added bonus, my middle daughter lives in England with her Brit husband and their 8-month old twin boy and girl…so hoping that a jaunt there can also be arranged.
I have a far-flung family.
Right now, I have more kids and four grandchildren in Europe (only one of which I’ve actually got to hold in my arms) than in the States. My oldest daughter and granddaughter (miss you, Squirt!) live in California, and I am hoping to get there to see them sometime later this year.
I will still be blogging from there, but might have to consider changing the blog description to:



“A Kansas City gal, former Californian, now an expat in Ecuador, living in Germany for 2 months”.


Life and change march on, holding hands.
Embrace it.

                                                                                                                            

“In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while those who are learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.”
Eric Hoffer

9 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you about being in Germany with you loved ones for two months!!! That will be so fantastic! I am back to being me again, got rid of the bad "baggage" if you know what I mean! Me and the dogs are much happier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      I think I do know what you mean.
      Keep on truckin'

      Delete
  2. continue with your Quest to quit smoking...Hugs to you. Have fun visiting.. looking forward to updates

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Life and change march on, holding hands. Embrace it." I'm trying... and love this, Leigh! I've got fond memories of our time at Joshua Tree and think I have the same photos! So glad you're getting an extended trip to Germany...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that that day as if it were yesterday.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and yes - I still have the framed black and white photos you took that day in my California storage area.
      Those were great pictures, and can't wait till I can eventually get those down here, along with the rest in storage.

      Delete
    3. These were all taken from my camera...the first one on this post ("Mother Earth") was the day we went up there together, on New Year's Eve day 2005. I'm proud of that one.
      But the ones that you framed and sent me (the B&W ones) were awesome and precious to me. Once again, can't wait to get them out of storage to see them again.
      Most of the photos included in this post I took in in Nov 2009 up in Pioneer Village.

      Delete