Friday, December 3, 2010

Trash Revolution

August 6, 2010

Our darling neighbor Franklin
on his way to the school.
Someone emailed me recently and mentioned that the grade school adjacent to our compound is noisy.  True enough; kids frolic on the playground, school announcements and ceremonies are sometimes broadcast over the loud speaker, and once, a few weeks ago, we woke to Elvis Presley inexplicably singing “Love Me Tender” over the amplifier (I’m still trying to figure that one out).



Courtesy Karen Miller
September 2010
I had to laugh when I read that email. When is Ecuador NOT noisy?  Three-wheel bicycle vendors shout out their wares, police vehicles use sirens for no apparent reason other than they’re moving,  buses chortling down the highway can be heard 2 blocks away, whistles blow from the soccer field, music and announcements randomly emit from the town’s speakers, dogs bark, and birds sing in riotous cacophony.  Roosters crowing at ungodly hours is a given. And let’s not forget the car horns. Ecuadorian drivers honk to pass, they honk at livestock, they honk at pedestrians – hell, they honk at a mango pits lying on the calle. And there are times when I am convinced they’re aiming at walkers as they hurtle down the road (they’re really not; actually some kamikaze dogs sleep on the streets).  But I love the racket; it’s music to my ears, and one gets used to it, though I’m not sure anyone ever gets inured to the bloody roosters.
Above all this din, my top award goes to our trash collectors. I LOVE these guys! They come around every Monday and Thursday mornings (funded by an added fee to all electric bills, in our case around $5-7 per month). They are a friendly and dedicated bunch, and you know when to be ready at the curb because they play this catchy little tune as they do their rounds. I’ve been trying to figure out the words, and near as I can come up with (in no particular order):

“Hurry now!...(we’re here?)…
Bring those bags out – make sure they are closed….
It’s a trash revolution!
….Message from Santa Elena province…..”


Somebody help me out here.
I apologize for the rather lame photography in the video below, but I was more focused on capturing the tune.  I´ve had problems getting a good video (either too large to upload or - big surprise here - too much background noise). This is my 4th attempt, and I´m sure the trash guys think I am a gringa loca stalker, though they have been good sports as I make my "action!/rolling" signal to them as they round various corners.

You may need to turn the sound up to hear the song best.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! In the village we get very little sound except at or near sunrise...then roosters go crazy! They love the high fence I have I guess. And the neighbor behind me raises fighting roosters. Anyway you get use to it its just the sounds of the country. Viva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is awesome! Music, we just look for the neighbors trash and know its trash day. They come zooming around 4 or 5 hop off and gather the trash, hop back on and they are off.. not as entertaining as yours!

    ReplyDelete