Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Doggy Style

August 30, 2010

Because I couldn´t find a picture
of the fish - instead a cool pic
that Todd took recently.
Departing guest, Eric Mensh caught a 75-pound wahoo on an ocean fishing trip he took the last day he was here, and generously shared most of it with the neighbors here.  I’m not a big seafood fan, but Todd seasoned and grilled our portion(s), and I think that is about the tastiest fish I’ve ever eaten ….like a lobster steak.

It’s happened.  About a week ago I caught Daisy and a strange beau cuddling on the back patio in the dark.  When Jose, the maestro (contractor) for Bobby’s job across the street showed up around 7AM, we asked him to check Daisy out for “in heat” conditions, despite the fact she’s been spayed.  Todd, Jose and I all guffawed after a minute of watching him angle for a position to eye her crotch.

Despite our initial skepticism, Daisy has been going through a pseudo heat cycle for the last ten days or so, which has driven us crazy.  Until now, we didn’t realize this was possible with female dogs after sterilization.
Apparently, the vets here don’t remove all of the equipment when dogs are spayed; the reasoning behind this is so that the animal can still interact with the pack and gain acceptance. And interact, she did.  We had 5-6 horny male dogs hanging around here all the time, and she was gladly taking them on, anywhere and everywhere. It was embarrassing and noisy. Todd made a rather impressive homemade slingshot to chase the fellows off, and Daisy would slink off with them.  He was really disturbed by her shameless antics, and let me say here that it’s a good thing Todd never had to raise teenage girls.
It didn’t help the other day as Todd was walking with Daisy that Bobby shouted out: “hey, walking your slut?” (Bobby has such a way with words….)

We’ve hardly seen her since this began, but Daisy finally showed up at home tonight for a meal, and a nap…Poor thing…she has no idea what’s happening to her, but while she may be confused, exhausted, and hungry – she clearly has no complaints about her newly acquired popularity and has been skulking off with numerous novios all week. We can only hope at this point that Doctor Wilmer knew what he was doing several months ago.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, heading through town this morning on my way to Cyber Olon café to check this morning’s email, I met a young Australian mother with 2 very young boys, and we chatted for a few minutes. While we were talking, the local corner dog came over to me, wagging his tail in a very friendly manner.  I thought: “oh, finally this dog doesn’t bark at me anymore”.  I bent down to pet him and he suddenly lunged at me and began energetically humping my thigh.
There was nothing tentative about it, and IN FRONT OF local people.  I shooed him off, but he persistently kept trying to mount me while I was talking with the Australian gal, and followed me half a block after that.  I evaded him on the way back home, but had to return later in the morning to the internet café.
Clearly Daisy’s scent is stuck to my clothes now.
On my way back to the Cyber (again), I spied him at the corner.  He spied me as well, and he had that certain glint in his eyes.  As I neared, I shook my finger, yelled at him to back off, and eyeballed him until I passed him. 
“Go away,” I hissed.
I specifically said this because I was being observed by a number of local bystanders, who were quietly sniggering and smirking behind their hands.
 Eventually, I felt safe enough to turn my back some distance beyond.  Nevertheless, the damn dog waited a moment and then launched at me from behind (nothing uncertain about his motive) until I kicked him off me. I have to admit that both the audience and I did end up getting a good laugh about it, but Todd and I are ready for Daisy’s passionate season to come to an end.

Daisy trying to get back in Todd´s good graces.

4 comments:

  1. I am sure that a dog does not like getting kicked in the Ba%& so just give him a sharp kick there next time. His pain will take away his joy for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... that is so funny. I can just see all that going on...soon it will pass... and Leigh, wash your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a good laugh. Years ago when I was in college, my brother lived in Eastern KY and was keeping my dog for a short time. When I went to pick her up, she must have been in heat and there were 20-30 dogs around her. Needless to say, she had a litter of puppies a couple of months later. She was the ONLY dog that I have had (over the last 30 years) that I allowed to have a litter of puppies. Never again. Sue Woods

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was very funny. I hope the ´heat´ doesn´t repeat too often...

    ReplyDelete