Saturday, June 29, 2013

Year of the Build

June 28, 2013

Courtesy of Internet
I have spent most of June in Cuenca. After my last post, I was in Cuenca for another ten days or so to get the cataract removed from my other eye as well (I was down to 20% vision in my left eye and 50% in my right).  I had the eyes done a week apart.
The surgery for both my eyes went very well, and I am thrilled with the results. I CAN SEE AGAIN!
I returned a week later on a quick two-day trip for a final check up on the second eye * and I have a lot of 
confidence in my eye doctor in Cuenca (Dr. Juan Diego Carpio). **


There was very little discomfort during the procedures (gowned and on operating table with light drip of something to relax me each time) nor much inconvenience aterwards, other than wearing eye patch over each eye for 24 hours afterwards.
That being said, I ended up spending most of the time “holing up” in my hotel room at the
Inca Real being a hermit.
In other words, I downloaded several movies and books, and the first season of “Modern Family”, and thoroughly enjoyed my time pigging out on “para llevar” 8-piece buckets of “Rossty Brosty” chicken (across the street from hotel) and overdosing on bags of candy each day, purchased at the booths around Parque Caldron during the week-long Corpus Christi “how many sweets can you consume???” marathon.
 
 
 
 

I enjoy going to Cuenca. It is a lovely city, with lots to do and I did spend time with a few friends…Had lunch one day with Victoria McGinnis (who turned me onto the health store located at Nectar Café), and had a wonderful dinner at the Jardín Restaurant (located in the Victoria Hotel) with Mary and Steve Beckman (of "South of Zero" fame).

 
It is virtually impossible to go to Cuenca without bumping into someone you know, and ran into Karen and Randy Kimbler ("Kimbler’s Exit to Ecuador") several times, and Mary and Tod Freeman ("Expats Helping Kids in Ecuador") one night while getting a bite to eat at Mangiare’s.

But I was damn happy to finally get back home to the coast after being away for almost 3 weeks because now that the eye issues and other medical and dental issues have been resolved, we have a big project we are starting this year.

 
According to the Chinese Zodiac, this is the “Year of the Snake”.
According to us, this is the “Year of the Build”.

Six years ago, we bought a 3 bedroom/3 bath house on the coast of Ecuador, in Olón (and the lot next door to it).  I wrote about that in  “A House-and-a-Lot”.  We were the first to buy a lot in Jardínes de Olón (and all others have been sold since), but we are the last to build. Currently three other construction projects are underway on the other lots.
We sold the Olón house over a year ago to fund the new construction on our lot.
In the meantime, we’ve been living in a wonderful Ecuadorian-owned rental, in a friendly barrio about 4 blocks from our soon to be construction site.  

 
 
We’ve procrastinated – mostly because we’ve spent the last year taking care of dental and medical issues in Cuenca first, and we’ve never built a house before now.  We wanted to observe and study the other construction projects underway, and have learned more about which questions to ask, and more importantly – which local maestros and crew (s) we want to hire.

And we’ve dallied, because virtually every couple we’ve ever talked to that has been through this process (wherever) says it takes a toll on the relationship.  We are hoping not to kill each other before our project gets done.
 
One view of the lot (facing south)
Ocean to your right
 
Another view of the lot, taken several years ago
from the balcony of our former place
 
Some of the other construction going on
in Jardines de Olón
Facing northeast from balcony of our former house.
 
Like most couples I know, we are complete opposites… He is methodical; I am impulsive. He likes to cook; I don’t.  I could go on….
ONE OF US has good architectural ideas and taste, and SOMEONE ELSE doesn’t.
(Because left to his own devices, I’m concerned that Todd would erect a purple-painted yurt with bamboo and thatch accents, and call it a day)….Just kidding, honey (!)…sorta.
But we have been working with a 3-D modeler to come up with some ideas we can play with, and expect to have those plans in our hands in the next week or so.
We’re both extremely excited to get started – and scared – to begin construction, now that the Cuenca medical stuff is done.


One of the new hotels in Olon
 
Additionally, there is a lot of other new constructions going on all over Olón, and our little town has been getting a new spit and polish, with new paved or cobbled streets being done.  There was a big town party last Saturday night to celebrate the road improvements (at least I think that was the purpose – they don’t need much of a reason to throw a party here, and they are always fun).

 
 
 

One of our streets being cobbled a few months back.
The workers were having fun with the bricks.

Another hotel under construction
 
Bamboo scaffolding is commonly used here for projects
 
I do have a sweet story:
 
Shortly after I got back to Olón, I went into Montanita one night to get a pizza to go.

I lost my Kindle that night. I took it so I could read while waiting for the pizza and I was just sick when I discovered it lost.

My only hope was that I left it in the taxi I took to Montanita. I used a very nice driver, but I didn’t know him.
The next day, several other taxi drivers helped me locate the driver (who was off duty and at home) and he had it safe and sound for me.
I was beyond relieved, and eternally grateful for the wonderful people here.

 
 


 

 


 



For all the controversy about Ecuador in the news these days because of the Snowden issue, we still love living in this country, and the people who live here.
God bless Ecuadorians!

 


 
 
*  The cost for each eye was $1200, in my case. Complicating my cataract surgery was Lasik surgery, which I had done 10 years ago, astigmatism (s), and a tear in my left retina 8 months ago that was caught in time (and repaired via laser - $250). That’s when the cataracts were diagnosed by my eye doc. At the time, he actually encouraged me to wait as long as possible (for several reasons, which I won’t bore you with here) before having them removed.

**  Dr. Juan Diego Carpio speaks English,(my preferred language when dealing with medical issues, especially regarding anyone getting near my eyeballs with surgical instruments) and he is in practice with his Dad (Dr. Juan) and another doctor.
Dr. Juan Diego's phone number is 07-268-9249 and he works out of the Clinica OftalmoLASER.
I had referred him to another coastal friend of ours after my laser retina repair, and he also used him several months ago for cataract removal. This friend is also very happy with the results.

20 comments:

  1. Nice posting... glad to hear your eyes are better after that very precise surgery... Did you have insurance or is this something that is not covered??? George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George!
      I paid cash. We have paid cash for all of our medical and extensive dental work done (the dental work easily would have cost us probably close to 3 times the amount we would have paid in States - and I'm talking WITH insurance there).
      Reasonably priced Ecuadorian medical insurance is available, and many expats opt for it.
      I'm sure you can find out more info on medical insurance options on the expat forums, rather than from me because I personally think the f!@*%!!insurance industry is the biggest scam around - anywhere in the world, but especially in the States.

      Delete
  2. Good blog page! I won't even recognize Olon when we finally get there again!
    I am so glad your eye procedures have gone well and that you found a good Doctor.
    I have found that not getting too particular is the way to go with building a house, as long as you get what you paid for. We had lots of things with our house that we did not know exactly how it would turn out and trusted the builder and are so far very happy with the house. We have one thing after another delay us from finishing the house and moving to EC, hopefully the right time will come one of thee days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy!
      So glad to hear that your project is going well, and envious that you are now closer to being done.
      You really won't believe all the changes in Olón since your last visit here, but all good.
      The improvements that have been made have been done well.

      Delete
  3. Once again another great piece of writing Leigh. I can't wait to see how your new house turns out with your mind melding, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Such kind words!
      You are assuming that both of us are still going to be alive when you do see the house completed????

      Delete
  4. Great news about your eyes. We can't wait to see your new house.

    Chuck Watson
    Cuenca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chuck!
      Great hearing from you!
      We are looking forward to getting the house built - with plenty of room for visiting friends.
      Hope you and Nancy can make it back to the coast then!
      Hugs to you both!

      Delete
  5. Kathryn Kelly, Salinas, EcuadorJune 29, 2013 at 10:48 PM

    So wonderful to hear that you are well now and can see!!!! Hope to see you this coming week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kathryn!
      Coming in tomorrow (Monday) for to pick up your homemade breakfast sausage. Sent you a PM via FB.
      Can't wait to eat it - won't last a week around here.

      Delete
  6. great Article Leigh! Hope to meet you guys in the coming year! Good luck with your new home build. Mike Ladd San Clemente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS,Mike - seriously looking forward to finally getting to meet you in person one of these days - either here or there.
      Todd and I do want to get to your neck of the jungle to explore eventually.
      Actually can't believe we haven't gotten there yet.

      Delete
  7. Oh Leigh! This is soo funny! Our Vets name is Dr. Juan Carpio! hahahah
    if you start to get fleas and have a heighten sense of smell go check out your Drs. Certs! :) It was fun to see you in town! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, it was great bumping into you guys (!)and I think you live in a wonderful city!
      Glad that things are going well with you all

      Delete
  8. My wife and I are coming over in a few weeks for the whale watching .. expect to stay in Olon at the Sea Garden House. Any recommendations for places to eat/things to do in the area. Gracias. Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas,
      You are going to be staying in a great place while you are here.
      Sure that Lolo and Maria Carmen know how to find us (we are friends with them)...
      And hell yes, have some fun ideas for you all when you get here, and looking forward to meeting you!


      Delete
    2. Leigh .. thanks for the info .. we are getting in on Tuesday, July 30. We will ask Lolo and Maria Carmen to point us in your direction. Look forward to meeting you as well. Thomas y Nancy Sutton (tnsutton@yahoo.com)

      Delete
    3. Looking forward to meeting you!!!

      Delete
  9. Good price on the eyes. I had mine done in Texas and paid $5000 an eye for Crystal Lens (would have been half that if cataracts had been bad enough to make it medically necessary by insurance standards). Still can't believe I spent that much on myself but the first eye was a "use the money it or lose it" basis for my Flexible Spending Acct at work. Looking forward to cheaper medical and prescription meds without having to see a doctor first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pilar!
      Thank you for that information, because, honestly - I really don't know what cataract removal costs in the estados unidos anymore. With or without insurance.
      I thought $1200 each was a little pricey, which did make me curious regarding how much this operation costs in the States now, based on first-hand experiences.
      --- A DISCLAIMER HERE!!! -----
      I loathe the insurance industry (all of them/anywhere) and think it's one of the biggest scams ever created.
      At one point, while still living in California, I was paying self-paid heath insured (with for profit company) premiums of $850 a month with a $2500 deductible after my COBRA expired.
      I broke a wrist. OVER AND ABOVE THE $850 a month AND $2500 kick-in, I also got to pay ANOTHER $13,000 OUT OF POCKET to get it fixed.
      That's bullshit.
      Who is subsidizing who?

      Delete