Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Jungle Light

May 6, 2013


My youngest daughter, Kacie, and her husband, Pedro (who is from Brazil), and my 2-yr old granddaughter (Clara) recently came for a 10 day visit.
Kacie and I haven’t had the opportunity to see each other in four years, and this is the first time I’ve had the chance to hold Clara in my arms, ever. 
I mean, we talk/see one another on Skype when we can, but it’s not the same thing as having my baby (with hers) here, together in person.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
I also have two lovely daughters that came gifted because of my first marriage.
My oldest, Elizabeth and my 12-yr old granddaughter, Avery, live in Southern California:
(Hi Avery, if you are reading this – I really miss you, Squirt!)

Middle daughter – Katherine – has lived in England with her British husband, Clive for the last ten years. Katherine and Clive are thrillingly expecting twins (a girl and a boy) next August, and mother and babies are doing great.
And I’m really sorry that Elizabeth and Avery couldn’t make it here, since Lizbee was pretty instrumental in getting the ball rolling on this one, but ended up not being able to make it.
 
Playing in the Rio Olon
 
I believe one of the hardest consequences of being an expat is the distance from so many loved ones. 
I’m often envious of the close-knit, extended families I see here in Ecuador. Many of them will never travel further than a few hundred miles from Olón for their entire lives, nor care that there is a whole 'nother “world" out there.
They are with their families and friends, and really (?) is there anything ultimately more important than that in life?


Photo courtesy of Kacie
For that matter, I’m also jealous at times of family and friends who have never budged very far from Kansas City (where I grew up) and still enjoy all the familiar sights and traditions of that area, and chose to raise their families there….Especially during the holidays.

(though snickering behind my hand about the recent mid-west May snowstorm).

 
I think the most difficult times for me are during the holidays when everyone is posting cozy, snowy Facebook pics of their families – dressed in some festive clothing – gathered around a turkey, with a fireplace burning brightly in the background…while I am  profusely dripping sweat, trying to sweep an errant bat out of my house.
 
 
 





Anyway, Kacie has been to Ecuador to visit once before, and knew what to expect.  It can take some visitors coming to our Ecuadorian coastal areas time to reconcile the reality with pre-conceived ideas.
It doesn’t hurt that Kacie also speaks four languages fluently.  She is a linguist with the Army, and two days after they left here, they were on their way to make a new home in Germany, where she is posted for now, so I was particularly grateful that we had this time together.
Kacie and Pedro had a list of things they wanted to do while here, and I was more than happy to babysit while they did them.
That got me out of zip-lining, jungle-light expeditions and Montanita late nights, thankfully.
Been there/done that.
 
 
 

What it did NOT get me out of was the “day of horseback riding on the beach”, which was top on Kacie’s checklist. The horses can be “ordered beforehand” and show right up at door, with the guide, at more or less the appointed time.  Kacie was really looking forward to riding horses on the beach.
 



 
 (she is also an accomplished equestrian).

 
Kacie requested two horses for us to ride. By a complicated formula that involved heated discussions amongst the adults, logic, default….I somehow ended up on the second horse for that venture.

I haven't ridden a horse in probably 35 years.
It was fun, except for the painful concrete saddle. I didn't even know I had bones in certain places until then.
I actually was provided with a very gentle and responsive horse (and I do know some basics, thanks to Girl Scouts and other horse riding lessons in my youth).
While the horse was very obedient to my lame nudges, I decided early on just to try and stay on the saddle with the least amount of pain, and let the horse take its own course, who was generally keeping pace with the horses of the guide and Kacie.
 
Never. Ever. Again.
 
EXCEPT --- now and then, my horse was determined to walk straight into the ocean. 
I mean – STRAIGHT OUT INTO THE SEA.
Several times – just  out of curiosity – I let the horse do it, if nothing else to see how far he planned on going with that idea (and not too worried, since I figured I could vault off the horse if he got too deep in the water) during his kamikaze missions.

I would rather cut my front lawn with a pair of child scissors than agree to do that again.

I couldn’t walk or sit comfortably for two days afterwards.

But, nevertheless, I will always treasure that experience and memory.
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. love the horseback experience part. I am a huge horse person and cannot wait to experience my dream of riding on a beach and in the ocean.....have ridden everywhere else, now one last dream on my bucket list......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sincerely hope you have the experience! It was fun, and will always be a treasured memory for me.
      I also genuinely hope your buttocks are tougher than mine.

      Delete
    2. Ah, Leigh, that's what you get for being nice and slender like you are! We rode horse up into the hills above San Jose for hours on old wooden carved saddles and my "padding" kept me from being very sore at all !! Had rope for stirrups, it was an interesting and beautiful experience

      Delete
    3. Hi Judy!
      No, I think my butt and thigh agony had more to do with not being anywhere near a gym for the last 20 years.
      And those "old wooden carved saddles"?...Those WERE the same f'n saddles we were on!
      I would have been more comfortable sitting on top of a Christmas tree.

      Delete
  2. hi leigh!

    awsome that you got to see your family,sorry about your backside!
    my husband and i are moving to ecuador mid june.
    loved the montanita/olon area,but are temporarily settling into
    san clemente first.then maybe closer to olon or maybe we'll visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce and Butch!
      Looking forward to meeting you all while you are here!
      Haven't had a chance yet to go to San Clemente myself (though I hear many good things about that town)...except it might be a few years away from better infrastructure
      And really, really hope that you don't have to ride horseback to go to and from where ever you are staying there...I'm laughing.

      Delete
  3. Dear Lee,
    As I read your post I wondered if my heart would ever accept the long distance between myself and my children and me for creating it. How do I keep my heart from breaking at birthdays and holidays and all the special little moments missed? I realize children have their own lives,and don't miss us like we miss them, but that really doesn't help. How do you do it Lee? I would really like some help on how to harness the desire to be with my children and still be adventurous and live my own life. Words of wisdom please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anon,
      Your questions provoked such an emotional response within me.
      So much so, that I think I am going to answer your question on my next post rather than here in the comment section.
      The short answer....I have no words of wisdom to offer.
      You learn to live with your heart breaking on certain holidays and occasions.
      Leigh

      Delete
  4. Hi everyone,
    Wife and I are moving in June. Wanted to be in Manta, but now see that Olon may have expats as well. Any leads on rental homes would be greatly appreciated.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      This June? As in the next couple of weeks?
      For Olon area rentals, my husband Todd may be able to help you.
      Contact him directly at todd@ecuafriendly.com
      Even if you end up in Manta, hope you will come visit our neck of the woods - hope we have a chance to meet you!

      Delete