Friday, February 15, 2013

Bugs Me

February 7, 2013

(I wrote this a little over a week ago, and only now have a chance to post it).

As I write this, there is a grasshopper the size of a TV remote control (I KID YOU NOT) clinging to my living room curtain. I would take a picture of it, but right now Todd is out-of-house with our camera.   They’re pretty lethargic if not disturbed, so I’m pretty sure I can get a snapshot of it when he gets home.
The pic included here was one I took several years ago of same type of fella – but he was outside, and SMALLER.


The night rains we get this time of year also bring out the bugs.  I hate bugs, especially cockroaches. One of my bigger concerns when we decided to move to Ecuador was the possibility of frequent encounters with mutant sized insects and spiders, but – thankfully – that hasn’t been my experience.
I saw bigger cockroaches (flying palmettos) more often while living in Palm Springs than I have seen in Ecuador.

Still, it is the “buggy” season now. Friends of mine that live in Salinas (“hi!” to Joan Dale and Jean Bennett) battled mightily with their brooms against swarms of gnat-like creatures for a brief period several weeks ago, and there’s been a lot of chatter on the Facebook Ecuador expat pages recently about the creepy-crawly issue(s).

We have been inundated with crickets for the last month.

I don’t care for crickets much, but I can live with them.  I have no problem squashing the smithereens out of cockroaches, but I can’t kill crickets. I either sweep them out, or gingerly pick up and toss outside the ones I find.
But, I REALLY DON’T LIKE IT when they jump on me in bed in the middle of the night. Scares the bejeezuz out of me.

One of the funniest stories I’ve heard lately about bugs is one shared by a friend of mine – Scott Creasy, who lives about 40 minutes north of us in the Manabi province.

I’m going to share it in his own words:

“Since there has been a lot of talk about bugs... Here is a true story that happened this week.
On Monday, I heard a mouse in the closet. I tried to find it, but... After dark, I went to the kitchen and I saw the little mouse run behind the trash can. Thinking fast, I set 3 traps. In less than 15 minutes, I had caught the little mouse.
But, I did not take up the other 2 traps. One of which I had placed under a piece of furniture in my mother's room.
Last night, she wakes to the sound of the trap snapping. Then she hears the struggle begin for the remaining moments of life.

This morning... this is what I found:
 

Photo
Courtesy of Scott Creasy


Okay… in the time it’s taken me to write this, the grasshopper on the curtain has disappeared.  Somewhere in the house.

If that thing jumps on me in the middle of the night, they will hear me screaming in Des Moines.

8 comments:

  1. Once again you have imparted great information but made me laugh myself silly. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really hoping to see you guys soon!
      I was in Cuenca very briefly (just for a couple of days, to see doctor), but Todd couldn't join me. Stealth trip, in and out.
      Hoping that both of us can get there mid-March for a few days, and will call you.

      Delete
  2. We have had several encounters with mutant insects in the mountains as well..they all seem to have some sort of pinchers! First thing I did when we moved in here was fill the massive gaps in the windows with caulk and put foam in the nearly one inch gaps under the doors..still get spiders....oh, how I hate spiders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eewwwww...pinchers! Always makes me think of that Twilight Zone episode when those kind of bugs go into someone's ear/he survives a painful agony, only to discover it laid eggs in his brain.
      I'm with you - I don't care for spiders either. I know we have tarantula's around here,but thankfully, I haven't seen any.
      Actually, it's those little, little jumping spiders that bother me. I think they might have a mean bite.

      Delete
  3. Heck, saddle the sucker and ride on down to Salinas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jean!
      It really was big enough to saddle.
      Or feed a family of four.

      Delete
  4. Yikes, what is that thing in the mouse trap? My cat used to bring live mice in and I was somehow able to corner and get a jar on each one of them and put them outside. Wasn't real happy when a few headless mice appeared around the house. So I understand you not wanting to kill crickets. OH, and Richard is home from the hospital but still in pretty rough shape. Something about sawing the sternum in half kinda takes alot out of a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just call them centipedes. Fortunately, I've only seen them outside, not inside our house. That's not to say they're not there. I just haven't seen them.
      Our best thoughts and prayers to you and Richard. Please give him a hug for us.

      Delete