Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Visit from Bernie

November 24, 2011

I have been in an “I’m going to have to kill someone today” mood lately… Most likely that will be Todd, who is in closest proximity. Poor guy.  Seriously, I’ve been riding a rocket-powered broom for the last couple of weeks. And the sound of my whining has been as grating (and as welcome) as a leaf-blower blaring early on a lazy, sleep-in day off…Which we haven’t had in a while, except for our recent Quito trip.

I took the chicken bus into Santa Elena and Libertad/Salinas yesterday to take care of some things while Todd stayed in Olon to handle other chores. And, for a change right now, I wasn’t complaining about my portion, because I thoroughly intended to reward myself with a meatball sandwich and conversation at Will & Wendy’s Hostal Aqui while I was “in town”.  

There is a group of Salinas expats and locals who are actively making a positive difference in our southern Ruta Del Sol area.   

Children from the
Olon Nursery School
The pot-luck Thanksgiving being held at Hostal Aqui this year will also be a fund-raiser for the Orphanage in Olon (located next to the church on the cliff point). In particular, expats Todd and Mary Freeman spearhead these efforts. For a $30 dollar commitment, one can adopt a child via a drawing of names.
I am going to quote several of Mary’s recent emails about this:

“Hi all,
While Will will be notifying all by text about Thanksgiving, we know some of you are not on his phone list. So.....The traditional Hostal Aqui's Thanksgiving dinner will be on Thursday the 24, beginning at 6pm. Will supplies the turkeys;, everyone else brings a traditional appetizer, side dish or dessert.
BATH TOWELS FOR OLON ORPHANAGE
Anyone wanting to donate a bath towel can bring it to Will's.
CHRISTMAS GIFTS FOR THE ORPHANS:
If you like we can pick a name for you to buy 2 gifts...1 clothing and 1 toy ...at approx $30 total. And /or Will is accepting contributions for their christmas dinner...he does turkeys, rice, beans, and desserts.
Have a happy Thanksgiving.”
M & T

Will let me draw early (since I’m not sure when we will have chance to hit the “city” again to shop). Blue index cards for boys, pink cards for girls.  I picked a blue one, and my new little one may have some special needs according to Will.
There is a 9-yr old boy in this orphanage who was conceived during an incestuous relationship (I’m sorry; there is no other way to say this). But more shocking is that he was chained to a tree outside for the first 7 years or so of his life, until he was rescued.  At first, according to Will, he was diffident and non-communicative, but has become affectionate and is learning to socialize. This child (who is “slow” – whether born that way, or as a result of his initial environment, or a combination of both is unclear to me) he now takes great pride in making his bed and carefully sorts his few clothes in the laundry room each morning.

And I’m complaining because I might be first in line to start a “Merry Maids” franchise in Ecuador?



In the meantime, we have “Bernie” the cat staying with us for a little while. Long story short – his owner lives in Curia, but has been traveling South America and the States for awhile, was suppose to be back by now, and it’s a little nebulous to us who is precisely in charge of taking care of Bernie until master returns. Bernie is a cool and healthy cat (a Manx), though at first, I was really, really irritated when he was dropped off at our house a few days ago….”that f’n cat is going right back up to Curia today!

Except I wasn’t sure how to get him there.  My choices were to hold him while riding on the back of German Mike’s motorcycle (hmmm…while getting clawed to pieces), or take the chicken bus (and I’ve seen some pretty strange sights on those, but don’t ever recall anyone getting on the buses hauling a mad cat), so I decided to call a taxi. Todd was in complete agreement, and was understandably confused when I drastically shifted my position to “keep Bernie for awhile” while waiting for driver to show up.

Our dog Daisy is pretty pissed about this decision. She rules the roost around here, but between us, she is SCARED of cats. Bernie is comfortable around dogs, but Daisy’s four feet sprang 2-feet backward at once when Bernie nosed near. Though I think the two of them will learn to tolerate each other during their sojourn, Daisy’s dismay is unmistakable.

Todd and I wish you a very blessed Thanksgiving. May we all count our blessings, because they are many, though we may not always perceive them.

No comments:

Post a Comment