Thursday, February 13, 2014

Come to the Edge

February 12, 2014

This poster hangs on the wall in our office, directly across from my computer, so that I frequently look at it every day.  It’s chock full of pithy and worthy sayings, but the one that always catches my eye is the quote that says “DO ONE THING A DAY THAT SCARES YOU”.
And I’ve really tried to take that phrase to heart in the last few months.  I think it’s a truism that applies to all of us – but in particular – I think it is especially apropos for those living as expats.
Moving to a strange land is not without its challenges. Living in a new country – any new country – which is not your homeland can be, at times, very isolating. Generally, the language is new to most, the customs and culture of your new “país” can take years to learn. Often, the simplest tasks, such as grocery shopping, paying the bills, catching a bus, etc., can be intimidating for quite some time after the re-location.  For those considering the move to Ecuador, it is a wonderful country(!), but be sure and pack “tenacity”, “resilience” and “perseverance” when you make the leap.
And weight your luggage with a broad sense of humor too.
On the other hand, it can be very rewarding when certain “obstacles” are overcome.

A few weeks ago, I was talking with my expat friend Michele.  Michele started, (and does a wonderful job moderating) a monthly book club that has been meeting for about six months now. All of us that participate in those get-togethers have enjoyed them very much.
Michele made a comment along the lines of “boy, it sure can be daunting to feel like such an idiot at times” doing very simple and ordinary tasks. We were laughing because we consider ourselves generally intelligent and articulate in English, and feel reduced – on a regular basis – of having the vocabulary and succinctness of jello-shots while going about our daily activities here.

For me, by far and away the most difficult aspect as an expat is being so far away from my kids, family and friends, and I sometimes still second-guess the decision to move so far away from them. Then again, we’re already scattered all over the world, and somewhat accustomed to the distance.
So it’s been fun to hook up with an old high school friend of mine recently (Susan Illig). I don’t think either of us recall being really close friends during our school years, but we have struck up a wonderful friendship during the last few months.
She said this to me recently:
“Life is full of surprises and communicating with you has been one of the better ones. Sometimes we get what we need in unexpected ways. I'm grateful too - and enjoying it as well. We both have "unconventional" lives. I think we're risk takers. I wouldn't be different (not sure I could be), but the cost is occasionally high. The rewards are too. It's hard to find people who get that. That can sound a bit snotty - but it truly isn't what I mean. I'm not making a judgment about what other people choose for their lives - only an observation that living more at the edge brings different challenges."

Apt words for me at an apt moment.


Construction has begun on the lot. Retaining walls are in place in preparation for a fill, and now shopping for dirt guys.  We are grateful for our friend Scott Creasy, who is helping with this project.  He has building experience, speaks great español, especially regarding construction conversations and nuanced negotiations.
(And yes - that is one of our wild beach horses grazing on the lot in the top right background of this pic).


Frankly, I don’t think a day will go by that I don’t remind myself to “DO ONE THING A DAY THAT SCARES YOU” during this project.

“A teacher says to his student, “Come to the edge.”
The student says, “No, I will fall.”
The teacher says, “Come to the edge.”
The student nears the edge and the teacher pushes him…
…And he flew…”

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on beginning the construction of your house!!! See you in June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly!
      Thanks --- but it is SCARY!!!!
      We miss you guys. Hugs to all of you!

      Delete
  2. I love that line Leigh... Walk towards your fears and address them... Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved that quote.
      If there is an source for that, I am not awareof it.
      As far as I know, it is "anonymous"

      Delete
  3. Beautifully said Leigh!! I never want to reach the end of my journey wishing I would have done something, that I was too afraid to do at the time. We too have kids and grandkids that we are leaving behind. That hurts. But like you, ours are scattered. We have been following our military family for many years and know that distance separates you. The love in your heart, never. We Wil be on the coast in 3 weeks. Hope we get a chance to meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Something tells me you will reach your journey's destinations with all your dreams intact.
      Looking forward to meeting you when you get here .

      Delete
  4. Leigh, one of my favorite phrases as well... and there are some days that I want the scary to stop and others that I search it out. You write with such voice. That's why I love reading your posts. You have always taken the "scarier" route and I admired that so much in you and in many ways think I tried to emulate that behaviour. The quote, by the way, is by Eleanor Roosevelt, but you probably knew that :-). Your end quote is another one I love (or a variation of it...) "She got to the edge, jumped, and discovered she had wings." We've both stood at that edge, and we've both found our wings, literally and figuratively. I love you Leigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, Laurie,
      How wonderful it is to know you are always there, and we can pick up our conversations (at any time) wherever we've left off.
      You should know that you have always, always, always been an inspiration to me as well, during all these years.
      I love you as well.
      And miss you!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Leigh....another great read! The EDGE has it's challenges...and rewards...that is for sure. I have always been a calculated risk taker...and living in Ecuador (a little over 3 years now) has been both! Most days...the rewards win out! Some days just suck...but that is life in general, not because we live in Ecuador!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miriam!
      True, my friend.
      We are really looking forward to getting up your way (sooner rather than later).

      Delete
  6. Great post Leigh - well said! The move to Ecuador has definitely taken me outside of my comfort zone; it's reassuring to see others being open and honest about the challenges of living abroad. I can definitely relate to feeling like an idiot just trying to accomplish simple things; I am so looking forward to having meaningful conversations in Spanish!

    Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center. - Kurt Vonnegut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra,
      So true, your phrase "out of our comfort zone(s)".
      But we've made it this far, right?
      Thanks for sharing the Kurt V. quote:
      "Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center."
      Love it!

      Delete
  7. Hola, very nice blog.
    We actually live in Cuenca and would like to visit the Costa in 1-2 months.
    Do no know if there are any longterm rentals in Jardin de Olon?
    Muchas gracias, Isa
    orr2 (at) gmx.net

    ReplyDelete