Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Olon Flash Mob

June 11, 2011

Mural on a
wall in Montanita
It’s a Monday, and we just returned back to Olon from Cuenca late Saturday afternoon (our fourth trip there thus far for our dental work). We have a couple of more dentist’s appointments to finish in Cuenca before we are done and have become infatuated with the beauty and the culture of the city.

We are delighted by the least little conveniences we discover (“golly, Todd — there's a DRY CLEANER’S!).
So it always is with some reluctance when we depart from Cuenca to return to our more rustic, seaside Ecuador village.  That feeling generally lasts for a couple of hours after our return to Olon, until we watch a sunset here, or walk along the beach, or stroll around town for a while.

And late this afternoon, Todd happened upon a dancing event in our Olon Park as he was walking over to Sarah’s House (our former one, in Jardines de Olon) and alerted me by phone. I made a bee-line there (a minute away) and after taking a few pics/videos, I had a great time joining the dancers being led by a teacher on the town stage.

Some boys playing
cards in the park
while the dancing was going on.
We’re pretty sure this isn’t going to be a onetime event, but rather a regular town gathering in our park to dance together during the slower season, and it made me fall in love with Olon all over again.
I would estimate there were at least 100 people (old and young) participating in the dancing tonight and their exuberance was contagious.  

See the video below.




6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - you made my morning with a big smile! That's exactly the spirit that I love about Ecuador. The 'slow season'? No problema! Just dance! I wish I remembered the name of that song - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the spirit here we love here too!

      Delete
    2. The song is Lambada by the Brazilian group, Kaoma (1989).

      Delete
  2. I love love love this! Helps me have hope that I can handle the cloudy season there. Luckily, we can drive north or south to sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to make it fine..
      Yes, there are days that we want to pull our hair out/call it "quits"..but then something like "town dancing" in unison just happens and we are always reminded how much we love the people and culture here.

      Delete
  3. Love the video! My family and I are SO there next year! Do you have a Skype account?

    ReplyDelete