Saturday, February 19, 2011

On the Move Again

October 15, 2010

Todd and I have been renting our Olon beach home to vacationers for almost three years – it is our livelihood.  When we made the decision to move to Ecuador permanently, we were excited about the opportunity to oversee our business first-hand, rather than from 4000 miles away (although we spent as much time each year in Olon as we were able).  The flip side to this plan is that we have to move out of our home each time we have guests, a scenario that we anticipated and mentally prepared for by viewing it as an adventure to try out the various hostels in our area, and we have – for the most part – enjoyed doing just that.  In particular, we have savored the last three weeks we have spent at Casa del Sol, in Montanita (and the longest time-frame we have had to vacate our home thus far)
We got here last June with a surprisingly busy confirmed rental schedule for the “slow” season (July to November) with various guests booked for that time.  Still, we’ve been able to spend at least a couple of weeks a month in our own home between visitors.  From December until March our home is nearly 100% reserved (as it has been every year since we began), and Todd and I have been making preparations and looking for a local apartment to rent during that very busy time.
 

Juanito is the¨"go to" guy
at Casa del Sol

As much fun as we’ve had staying at Casa del Sol, I have been looking forward to being home for most of October and November (until Thanksgiving, when we have a group coming in for a couple of weeks). But Todd has been fielding a number of last minute rental requests for these next two months (typically the slowest time of year) and agreed to rent our house to three doctors from George Washington University coming for a month starting around the last week in October.  They are here for some R & R, but also to do volunteer work at the health clinic in nearby Manglaralto.  I know we can always use the business, but I am grumpy and sulking over the situation, and basically being a brat because I was looking forward to being back home for awhile. Todd is reminding me that this what we “signed up for”, and he is right; I am trying to adjust my attitude, but inwardly still begrudging the damn doctors.

The Casa del Sol Beach Bar
Coming soon!
So, we have had to step our plan to find an apartment….Looking for an apartment here is not exactly like scouting for one in…say… Laguna Niguel (which is where I last rented, years ago). Depending on location and amenities, apartments rent for around $200-400 a month in this Olon/Montanita area, and our main requirements are that it comes with a hot water shower, bed, stove and refrigerator – none of which can be assumed around these parts. And perhaps it is to our advantage to need the apartment now, rather than wait until December, on the cusp of high season when availability diminishes and prices go up.



Daisy with our
 neighbor Franklin

We want to stay in Olon to be near the house and to our adopted beach dog Daisy (who has been comfortably ensconced at our home/neighborhood during our absences – we go over several times a day to check on/feed her and all of our guests have also been marvelous about  looking after her when we’re not around. We always leave a bag of dog food for them too, and none have minded occasionally feeding her if she seems hungry.) Daisy was probably about 7-8 months old when our friend and part-time neighbor Elizabeth (from South Carolina) encouraged us to rescue her. Despite our initial hesitation about the responsibility that entailed, Todd and I now can’t imagine our lives without her. Of course, Daisy makes it easy because she is so friendly, smart, and independent…and very well-behaved. Daisy knows she is not allowed in our house or any other in the Jardines de Olon; she comfortably and happily lives outside and sleeps on our back covered porch at night.


We have truly enjoyed our last few weeks staying at Casa del Sol and getting to know the Montanita area and friends more intimately.  Earlier today as I was clambering around the tide pools at the Point, I was reminded of how often I feel like a little kid here, as I discover a new shell, a new bird, a new bug, a new plant that I have never seen. The natural beauty of this country is wondrous and I continue to be awed by every discovery. That, and the Ecuadorian people, who I hope to write more about in a nuanced way without resorting to clichés, continue to make our sojourn here a delight.

It is late afternoon, and I am sitting at a table in the courtyard of Casa del Sol, writing and taking full advantage of the wi-fi available when I heard a commotion from the beach. It sounded like someone was yelling “fire”.  TJ went out to check, came running back in for his surfboard, and took off.  I followed him to the beach. Todd was already out there, and pointed out two guys drowning in the strong surf. The waves were so forceful, that TJ and other rescuers were having a hard time reaching those distressed.  One of the guy’s head kept going under, and we thought for sure he may have already perished. After 10 tense minutes, both were brought in safely, though shook up. 
One wry observation: a crowd had gathered, and sure enough a bicycle pastry vendor showed up to sell refreshments.

TJ with one of the rescued swimmers

5 comments:

  1. Your tide pools sound inviting. Hurry and catch up to the present! ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, I've been following your blog for awhile, thoroughly enjoy it. I'll be in your neck of the woods next week. Does one need to make a reservation at Casa del Sol, or is it a "first come first serve" kinda place.

    Todd, want to get together for a beer when I'm in town? You're probably thinking who the heck is this guy...I would be. I put together a little blog to keep in touch with family and friends while in Ecuador. If you care to, check it out here:

    http://web.me.com/mikewallace/Ecuador_Escapade/The_Blog/The_Blog.html

    I even put a little "about me" note on there. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike!
    Would love to get together with you while you are here! I will pass your invitation on to Todd as well.
    I think you should probably try and touch base with Casa del Sol before you get here - esp if you are coming during Carnavale - it will be busy here -
    Call us when you get in 09-217-2051
    I look forward to checking out your blog!
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leigh, Great to hear back from you. I just sent an email to Casa Del Sol to try and reserve a room for Monday and Tuesday of next week, 2/28 and 3/1. I'll give you a call on Tuesday morning...look forward to meeting up with you and Todd. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Leigh, Please contact me - I'd love to be in touch re. our visit (eventually). Thanks. Leigh Hudson (thaiquila@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete