Monday, September 28, 2015

Rainbow Nights


September 28, 2015



“Mother Earth”
Joshua Tree 2005/2006
New Year’s Eve Day

I was so excited to see last night's eclipse (in a good spot for it, along the coast of Ecuador).
It was cloudy here, so I wasn't able to see it, but I went to the beach anyway to experience it.
Here is something I just wrote to another friend of mine (Rick Hoefer) about my indelible impressions from last night:








"How to put into words?"
It was a cloudy night here...I had the beach pretty much to myself (with a exception of a few passerby)...
I was listening to "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" on my I pod (on repeat).
And though I couldn't see the eclipse, I was acutely aware of the the magic happening overhead,
Sort of like how the Divine works behind the scenes in our lives, whether or not we always perceive it .
And, especially as I waded into the ocean, feet firmly dug into the sand/Pachamama as I relished the life-giving waves washing over them,
...I felt (how to say this without sounding woo-woo?)....I felt a supernatural connection - an electricity of being totally connected to the the Universe and to each other.
And I was unexpectedly brought to my knees with gratitude.
As I sat on the shore afterwards, a bright/hazy light appeared on very low northwest ocean horizon.
I thought too low for it to be the moon, but also too bright to be lights from a fishing boat.
I was mesmerized. I kept rubbing my eyes as I watched it for awhile.
And then, I turned to look in another direction for a moment...and it was gone.
But it was there...the promise.

A night time rainbow.

2 comments:

  1. I thought that photo looked familiar! I was with you!! Great writing, Leigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie,
      That day in Joshua Tree was a day I will always remember and treasure.
      You are the photographer of the two of us – and I still have (in storage) the beautiful black & white framed photos you took that day.
      The photo on the blog was one that I was lucky enough to get off my camera, and has always been one of favorites…because it makes me think of Mother Earth giving birth to the rocks between the boulders of her “legs”.
      I miss you!
      You are my hero for your lust for adventure and your ability to write about it so beautifully.
      And you have my extreme admiration for walking the Camino…
      Folks, please check out Laurie's blog at :
      http://lauriedsunderland.blogspot.com/

      Delete